In this blog we explain how to repair brick wall defects. Repair brick wall cracks by epoxy resin injection, grout and mortar. Rebuilding of brick wall portion. Installing of ferrocment plate at corner. Stitching method of repairing of cracks and other techniques.
How to repair brick wall defects.
Here explain 5 method which is very helpful to repair all defects of wall. The list of all method is given below.
- Sealing of cracks by epoxy resin injection
- Repairing brickwork with epoxy mortar
- Installing ferrocement plate at the corner
- Rebuilding portion of a wall
- Stitching method of repairing cracks.
1. Sealing of Cracks by Epoxy Resin Injection:
Sealing of cracks is one best type of repair of brick wall defects method. In this method Sealing cracks and other brick wall defects by the help of epoxy resin injection.
Epoxy resin is a binding material with high tensile strength. Due to its low fluidity it is very useful in filling small cracks, while fluids with epoxy resin, used to fill large cracks (cracks) or holes, epoxy resin with ISI mark must be used.
This method is used to seal small and medium cracks 0.5 mm to 5 mm wide.
The method of sealing the cracks in the wall is as follows.
- Loose material is removed from the outer surface and cleaned.
- A plastic injection port is placed on the surface of the crack on both sides of the member. Such an injection port is sealed with an epoxy sealant. The spacing between such injection ports is kept approximately equal to the thickness of the member.
- After the epoxy sealant freezes, a low-fluidity epoxy resin is force fully filled into a port. If there is a vertical crack, start filling the epoxy resin in the lowest port, and if the crack is horizontal, start filling the resin in one end port.
- Continue injecting the resin until the resin starts coming out of the same port on the other side of the member or the port above it. Then close the injection port and inject resin in another port like this.
- If the crack is small, high pressure is required or the spacing of the part has to be reduced so that the epoxy resin is filled in the full depth and thickness of the member.
- This method is useful for all types of structural members such as beams, columns, walls, slabs. This method is useful for both masonry work and concrete.
Sealing the cracks in the column:
- Remove the plaster from the surface of the column, exposing the length of the crack. Remove any loose concrete from the cracks surface.
- Use a ‘diamond tip cutter’ to make a groove about 6 to 10 mm wide along the entire length of the crack.
- Make a hole with a distance of 150 mm between the two centres in which the nipple can be inserted.
- Fill the epoxy resin with a pressure pump into the hole.
- Fill the V-Groove with an epoxy mortar.
2. Repairing Brick wall defects with Mortar:
Repairing brick wall defects with Epoxy Mortar:
Epoxy mortar is mostly used as repair material. and it is also used as repair brick wall defects.
If the cracks of brick wall is wider or masonry is fully damaged (masonry have pit) then at this situation use epoxy mortar. Epoxy mortar is prepared by mixing of epoxy resin with sand.
The compressive strength and tensile strength of epoxy mortar are higher than cement mortar and have less elasticity.
- In this method, loose material is removed from the surface of cracks.
- The crack or pit is cleaned thoroughly.
- Drill a V-groove in the crack.
- Fill the groove by pressing the epoxy mortar into the V-Groove.
- If more reinforcement is needed, place the pieces of vertical iron rod on the crack and press it with plaster.
Repairing brick wall defects with Cement Mortar:
Cement mortar is also one best type of repair material. which is widely used in repairing work. cement mortar is also best solution of repair brick wall defects.
- Usually a cement: sand mortar in the ratio of 1: 3 to 1: 4 is used for repair, in which the aggregate maximum size is 10 mm.
- Cement mortar is pneumatically applied to concrete or masonry cracks.
- The method is same which is mentioned above.
3. Installing Ferro-cement Plate at Corner:
- Wire mesh is used to repair cracks at the corners of walls.
- First the cracks are cleaned and G-14 (2 mm wire, mm x 25 mm opening) is applied to the corner with wire mesh nails.
- This wire mash is fitted with a bearing of 500 to 600 mm on both sides of the crack.
- Then finished this work by applying epoxy mortar or cement mortar above The wiremash.
4. Rebuilding Portion Of A Wall:
When the major damaged occur in masonry wall at that situation, break the masonry wall and rebuild masonry wall from the foundation. rebuilding of wall is one method of repair brick wall defects.
If the entire load bearing wall is severely damaged, the entire wall is rebuilt by supporting the upper part of the structure. The masonry is cured. Curing is done after the required plaster is done. The temporary support is then removed.
5. Stitching Method of Repairing Cracks:
- Stitching method is used to repair large cracks in walls or slabs.
- The various steps of this method are as follows:
- To drill holes on both sides of the crack.
- Chase grooves between drilled holes.
- Place U-Shape M.S steel in groove and both holes which is perpendicular to cracks.
- Hall grouting with Epoxy grout or other non-shrink grout. Finishing the hole and Groove with Epoxy mortar.
Brick Wall Defects Repairing Pdf