In this article, we explain the simple and most common ways to repair leakage of toilets and bathrooms. simple methods to fix bathroom floor leakage and tiles leakage. methods to fix leakage of the sunk slab.
Methods to Repair Leakage of toilets area :
Most toilet areas have three main parts:
- Bathing area (Bathroom)
- Water closet area (W.C.)
These three areas can be arranged separately. In the master bathroom, these three areas are arranged in the same room.
In another arrangement, these three areas are separated by partitions walls and separate doors are placed for the bathroom and toilet.
So that different individuals can use it simultaneously. The floor level of the toilet area is usually kept low.
A slope of 1/60 to 1/100 is provided for easy drainage in the toilet area. The slab of the toilet area should be cast by adding waterproofing compound. Larger ceramic tiles should be used in the bathroom so that the joints of the tiles become less.
Water usually leaks into the concrete below the joint of the tiles after a few years. There is also leakage near the junction of pipes and fittings in the floor.
Brass Trap should be used for washbasins, bathrooms, etc. as per Is: 5219, Part – II (1969) so that it does not corrode. In addition, cast iron traps can also be used.
Repair of normal leakage:
In the old days, the bottom slab of a bathroom and toilet was painted with lime or cement paints. Since these paints are pervious, the water moisture escapes from the paints. But, now we also apply plastic emulsion paint under the slab of bathroom and toilet. Since such paints are impermeable, water moisture cannot escape from them, due to that bubbles form on the surface. To eliminate this problem, use cement paint (such as Snowcem) below the floor of the bathroom and toilet.
Repair of water leakage from bathroom and toilet tiles joints:
Using Strong Chemicals for Cleaning the Bathroom Area which is causing the tiles are slowly eroded and leaked out.
To remove this defect, clean the joints of the tiles properly. Then do waterproofing paints on these joints. Acrylic waterproof paints are easily available in the market With which to paint joints and cured it.
Repair floor leakage of bathroom and toilet:
Method to fix excessive leakage from the floor are given in the following manner.
- Remove the bathroom floor tiles first.
- Then do floor grouting with acrylic waterproofing chemical, cement, and water.
- Then Do Holes of 15 mm to 20 mm for grouting at a distance of 50 mm center to center.
- Finishing the slab with acrylic polymer waterproof mortar after grouting.
- Then re-lay the tiles. Paint the joints of the tiles with an acrylic polymer waterproof paint.
It is necessary to perform the following routine tests before connection:
- Inspect each pipe and fittings.
- Inspection after connection of pipes and fittings.
- To cover pipes and fittings properly and make them waterproof.
In many cases, if the slab is mostly damaged then it is demolished and a new slab is cast. Often the tiles are removed from the old slab and replaced with a new RC Slab.
Repair of Leakage from the floor traps:
Leakage often occurs in the bathroom area due to incorrect material for the floor trap and incorrect method of connection of the floor trap.
We use strong chemicals every day to clean the bathroom. All bathroom traps made of brass (copper content at least 56%) should be used so that it does not corrode. UPVC and CI Traps can also be used.
The connection of the Traps to the floor is also important. Many people do concrete work around the top of the traps. Due to improper compaction of this concrete remains porous, from which leakage occurs. This method of connection is incorrect. A T-junction should be used at the top of the trap.
Leakage repair of Sunk slab of toilet area:
In most of the buildings, the Sunk slab (Sunk slab or Depressed floor) is cast in the toilet area in which the water closet is placed. The empty part of such a compact slab is filled with a piece of brick without sand to reduce the weight.
Water leaks from the roof of the lower toilet area when such a sunk slabs leaks.
Method to fix leakage of sunk slab:
- First Remove tiles, pipes, filled brick concrete, etc. from the sunk slab. Clean floor and side of the sunk slab properly.
- Cover the brick masonry on all four sides by placing 6 mm diameter rods in 50 mm thick (1: 1.5: 3) concrete. Place a hole for drainage pipe as well as 40 mm diameter drainage spout pipe in the concrete of the outer wall.
- Provide a slope of 1/40 towards the outside at the bottom concrete.
- Install a 40 mm diameter spot pipe in the outer wall at the end of the floor slope. Keep this spout pipe about 225 mm (six inches) away from the outside wall.
- Then do plaster 12 mm thick on the inner surface of the concrete by adding waterproof compound in1: 3 cement mortar.
- Apply two coats of polymer cement slurry on the side and floor of the sunk area. Apply two coats of 85/25 grade bitumen on it. Also, apply a bitumen coat on the GI Pipe.
- Then lay a 150 mm thick dry stone drainage layer of 20 mm size stone aggregate at the bottom.
- Arrange PVC soil pipe without joints on it. Use the pipe in one piece so that there are no joints in the soil pipe. Once the Joints of the pipe are ready, fill it with water, and test for leakage or smoke test.
- After the joint test of the pipe, fill the top of the pipe and stone aggregate with cement concrete of 1: 5: 10. Better if the area around the Indian WC is filled with lime concrete.
- Laying tiles on top of cement concrete. Fill the joints of the tiles with acrylic waterproof paints. Epoxy lapi can also be used to fill joints.