In this article, we explain what are the roles of civil engineers in construction field. we also mention some important responsibilities of civil engineers in construction. also we explain how economy achieve by civil engineer in construction.
Roles of Civil Engineer:
There are so many main roles of civil engineers like Structural Engineer, Architect, Quantity Surveyor, Consultant, Safety Planner, Transportation engineer, etc.
But as per my point of view, the main roles of the civil engineer is constructing buildings and other structures which are not harming the environment. like not increases Global warming. this is a big challenge for civil engineers.
Here i show some example, where civil engineer plays important role.
- Designing Eco-friendly building
- Making Building energy Efficient like Zero energy building.
- Construction of Green building
- Constructing building using maximum reuse of waste material. and so more.
Responsibilities of Civil Engineer
The main Responsibilities of civil engineer are as follows.
1. Designing, planning & Drawings:
Designing the project keeping in view the needs of the owner. Also Engineer design a project keeping in mind the availability of machinery, material, manpower, money and labour skills.
- In construction, engineer should be take care of quality of construction.
- Prepared detailed construction drawing of the structure which is used in Tender document of project.
- Preparing activity management chart for construction.
2. Preparing Tender document:
- Carefully prepare the tender, as in the end, it becomes a part of the contract.
- Carefully prepare the terms of the contract, Specification.
- Accurately calculate the quantity of various items like excavation, masonry RCC Etc.
- Prepare estimates according to current market rates for various items.
- In addition to direct costs such as materials, machinery, labor, etc. and indirect costs such as overhead charges, establishment charges, price hikes, etc. should be taken in the estimated cost.
3. Invitation of tenders:
The tender document contains various information related to the project such as various items, quantity of items, terms of tender etc.
- After receiving the tenders, its analysis and Comparative Statement is prepared by the engineer.
- Carefully studies the conditions indicated by the contractor in the tender.
- Prepares a list of eligible contractors by requesting pre-qualification bids for large projects.
4. Construction drawings:
Detailed construction drawings are prepared by engineers and issued to the contractor as the work progresses.
In which the progress of the project is often slowed down and there is a dispute between the contractor and the owner over the duration of the project.
So such a question does not arise if the detailed construction drawing is issued only with tender.
5. Supervision of works:
- Supervision of works includes work planning, coordination, progress monitoring, quality control etc.
- The engineer should get the detailed construction program from the contractor and see to it that the work is done.
- Arrange weekly or fortnightly meetings with the contractor to discuss the progress of the work, the obstacles to the work, and the measures to be taken to overcome it.
- Insist on maintaining the quality of work. Periodically check the quality of work through cube test, on-site test.
6. Checking of bills:
Bills are prepared after measuring the work done which is checked and recommended for payment.
7. Extra items:
Determines the price of items which are not included in the tender document based on the cost incurred by the contractor.
The actual cost and profit incurred by the contractor should be taken into consideration while determining the price of such items.
The engineer needs to take special care that there is no dispute with the contractor from the very beginning of the project.
If such an objection persists till the end of the project, it will eventually result in arbitration. Such disputes during the ongoing work have a detrimental effect on the mental state and efficiency of the workers, often at the end of such disputes the employer has to pay a large amount to the contractor.
However, in order to prevent such disputes, the engineer needs to control his behavior and actions.
It is important to check the progress of the work from time to time and maintain the necessary records like letters, charts, photographs. The decisions made with the contractor should be carefully noted.
Here we also explain how economy achieves by engineer in any project. We listed some point which is useful for your knowledge.
How economy achieves by civil engineer in Construction:
- To design the project keeping in view the available resources, machines, materials, labor skills, financial convenience etc.
- Soil testing to determine the depth of the foundation.
- Use local labor and materials as much as possible.
- Storage of materials at the site in such a way that the materials have to be transported at short distances and time and labor cost can be reduced.
- Take care not to waste sand, gravel, cement on site.
- Use of repetitive formwork in the construction of concrete components.
- To keep the standard dimension of the windows, doors, beams, columns. Special dimensions are expensive.
- Machines used in construction should be repaired periodically. Use certified machines.
- Periodically inspect whether the construction is done as per drawing and specification to prevent any error.