What is a green building or Sustainable building?
A Green building is defined as a building that is made by optimum use of all five elements of nature. Due to that the design of the building, construction of the building, and maintenance of the building require less energy, less water consumption, use of solid waste material.
Green building is a reduced the negative impact of building on the environment, generate Zero Waste, and also fulfill all building comfortable requirement like electricity, water, ventilation, etc. by using minimum energy.
In the building, maximum use of Recycled material like crushed aggregate, fly ash, brickbats, rise husk, jute fibers, waste glass, etc.
The green building is satisfied with different criteria or factor which is given below to determine it is a green building
- Sustainable site design
- Water quality & conservation
- energy & environment
- Indoor environment
- Innovation & design process
- Material and resources.
Green building Certifying Agencies
The green building certifying agencies is given below
major two agencies are well known
- LEED:- Leadership in Energy & environmental design
- GRIHA:- Green rating for integrated habitat assessment.
But also another green building certifying agencies available in India
- IGBC:- The Indian green building council
- ECBC or BEE:- Energy conservation building code
Rating system of GRIHA and LEED
LEED RATING SYSTEM
GRIHA RATING SYSTEM
- 1 star
- 2 star
- 3 star
- 4 star
- 5 star
Indias 8 Best Green building in India
1. Suzlon One Earth
- Location:– Situated in Pune, Maharastra, India.
- Architect:– Prof. Christopher Benninger
- Rating:- LEED Platinum and GRIHA 5 – star certified
- Site :- 4,53,930 square feet (10.4 acre)
- The campus has 18 hybrid wind turbines that fulfill 7% of the total energy consumption.
- The infrastructure within the campus is designed to enable water percolation and thereby control stormwater runoff.
- The ventilation system consists of jet fans that save 50 percent energy by periodically pushing out stale air and bringing in the fresh air.
2. CII- Sohrabji Godrej Green Business Centre.
- Location:- Hyderabad, India.
- Site :- 11,000 FT²
- Architect:- KARAN GROVER & ASSOCIATES
- Rating:- LEED Platinum certified
- The building doesn’t let out any waste and recycles it all within.
- The building is literally made up of only recycled materials.
- The roof of the building is covered with vegetation to keep temperatures regulated.
- The large array of solar panels installed on the buildings generate around 100-120 units of electricity.
3. ITC Maurya
- Location:- New Delhi.
- Site:- built-up area 55044 sq meters
- Rating:- LEED Platinum rated hotels
- Building has been awarded the ‘Best Eco-Friendly Hotel’
- Recycle 90% of its solid waste.
- Use parabolic solar concentrators
- The building is that it uses low VOC( volatile organic compound) paints.
4. ITC Green Center
- Location:- Sector-32, Gurgaon
- Architect:- Sandeep Singh
- Site :- 170,000 square feet
- Rating:- LEED Platinum rated green building
- It is made up of bricks and concrete comprising of fly-ash and is equipped with high-efficiency equipment that reduces 53 percent energy consumption over a conventional building and 40 percent potable water requirements.
- Zero water discharge, solar thermal technology, stormwater management system, reflective high-albedo roof paint, minimal exterior lighting, and separate smoking rooms with the exhaust system.
- Double glazed windows do not allow heat to enter the building and double gaze insulation regulates temperature in the building.
5. Indira Paryavaran Bhawan
- Location:- Jor Bagh, New Delhi, India
- Architect:– Aanchal Garg.
- Site:- plinth area of 32,000 sqm
- Rating:– LEED Platinum and GRIHA 5 – star certified
- Zero Net Energy Building.
- The building uses a geothermal heat exchange system to reduce the power required to run air conditioners and recycles all its water thereby reducing water demand by over 50 percent.
- Thus, annual electricity bill is zero or negative i.e. net revenue on account of excess solar power generation.
6. Infinity Benchmark
- Location:- Kolkata, India
- Architect:- Aanchal Garg.
- Site :- 5,60,000 square feet
- Rating:- LEED Platinum level certified green building
- The air quality inside the building is maintained by CO2 monitoring sensors and intelligent humidification controls.
- Insulated walls regulate the temperatures in the building thus reducing the need for artificial cooling or heating.
- The roof has under deck thick polyurethane foam for better insulation.
- Rainwater harvesting, wastewater recycling system
- Location:- Hyderabad, India
- Architect:– Sundaram Architects.
- Site:- 460 acre
- Rating:- LEED Platinum level certified green building
- Winner of the green Oscars.
- Buildings in the campus are constructed along with the passive design principles such as minimizing heat and glare
- White painted roof
- Includes high-performance glazing, ample shading, radiant cooling.
- Energy-efficient lighting and HVAC system.
8. Olympia Tech Park
- Location:- Chennai, India
- Architect:- RSP Architects Planners.
- Site :- 2 million sq.ft.
- Rating:- LEED Gold level certified green building
- Olympia Tech Park has become one of the biggest and most sought after IT parks in Chennai.
- High natural lighting
- 100% water cycling
- Use a rainwater harvesting system
- 0% Discharge
- The dual plumbing line of the building which helps in treating greywater is used for flushing or in irrigation.
1 thought on “The India’s 8 Best Green Building 2020 – LEED and GRIHA Certified”
Thank you for providing this information. Having an idea of top companies is helpful.