Building maintenance, types of maintenance, defect in building and remedies of defects
What is building maintenance?
‘Building maintenance‘ means Repair of building or repair of its various structure elements, due to that structural element and other part of building provides various services well during its defined life span and maintain its various components in good condition, so that due to maintenance of building it serve all services during its defined life.
Importance of maintenance or purpose of maintenance or aims of building maintenance.
The purpose of repairing the building is as follows.
- The maintenance work is essential to ensure that the building is built to last longer and better.
- Life of building is decreased due to climate condition like rain, wind, moisture and temperature. Therefore building serve all services during it’s life span, maintenance is required.
- Building is construct for different purpose. Therefore maintenance of building is required for building serve all purpose during its life span.
- Due to occupancy of building, wear and tear of building is occur. Therefore maintenance is essentially required.
- Repair is needed to strengthen the weakened parts of the building.
- Maintenance is essential to maintain the beautiful appearance of the building.
- Maintenance work is required to prevent accidents caused by a building breakdown.
- An improvement to an old building, repairs are needed when an addition is made.
Which type of maintenance required in a building?
The following things include or required in a building maintenance:
- Regular cleaning of the house.
- Repairing of the destroyed plaster of wall.
- Repair of cracks of wall.
- Repair of seated flooring.
- Painting of building during equal interval of time.
- Painting of door and window after equal interval of time.
- Leakage repairing of slab.
- Cleaning and repairing of sewer.
- Treatment of termite in building.
- Replacing decayed wood
- Repairing or replacing fittings and valves for water supply.
- Repairing or replacing sanitary fittings, sewer lines, repairs.
- Repairs or replacements for electrical wiring, switches, boards, appliances, etc.
- Repair of gardens in the building
Main Types of maintenance :-
- Preventive maintenance
- Remedial maintenance
1. Preventive maintenance or preventive measures:
The steps taken to prevent house degradation are called Preventive Maintenance.
- Painting of door and window due to that protect from decay of wood.
- Painting to prevent corrosion of iron grill, doors, etc.
Preventive maintenance can be divided into four parts
- Routine maintenance
- Periodical maintenance
- Pre. Monsoon Maintenance
- Post Monsoon Maintenance
The everyday work of maintenance in house is called routine maintenance,
- eg cleaning the house daily.
- – Washing house
- – Painting windows
Maintenance doing after some interval of time in house is known as periodical maintenance
- Eg. Cleaning of house (festival time cleaning of house)
- Painting of window, door, iron grill and etc.
Pre Monsoon Maintenance:
Maintenance f house doing before monsoon is known as pre monsoon maintenance. Pre monsoon maintenance is required to protect our building from the effect of rainfall on the building.
- E.G. repairing plaster of the outer wall,
- Clean water and sanitation sewers.
- Replace broken roofs or sheets
- Install a damp layer on the roof, etc.
Post Monsoon Maintenance:
After monsoon, parts of the house damaged by rain are repaired, called post monsoon maintenance.
To fill the gaps lying next to the compound wall.
Remedial Maintenance or Remedial Measures:
Repairing a part of a building after damage is called remedial maintenance.
- Repair of crumbled plaster.
- If the furs have been seated, re-install the new furs.
- Protect building from decayed of termite. Doing anti termite treatment in building.
- Water proofing of slab is a remedial maintenance. Filling all leakage of slab.
- Replacing decayed wood. Installing new door and window if its decayed.
Which type of defects develop in building?
Plaster defects of building and it’s remedies :-
The plastered surface is inflorescence in some places is defined as blistering of plaster. This is the main defect of plaster and develop by moisture come in plaster wall, air between the plaster and brick wall which apply force on plaster wall and push forward direction of plaster. Due to that a small bubble develop in plaster. And it is blistering defects.
Cracks fall on the surface of the plaster. Movement of plaster and brick masonry wall, shrink of plaster, expansion of plaster, movement of various parts of building causes cracks in building.
Efflorescence : If the amount of salts in sand, cement, bricks is high then this salts come on plaster surface like white powder on the surface is known as efflorescence.
|cracks defects in plaster|
Two layers of plaster are broken or separate each other is known as flaking of plaster.
|flaking defects in plaster|
Everything goes right from the plaster wall or whole plaster wall fall from the brick masonry wall is known as peeling.
|peeling defects in plaster|
If the amount of salts in sand, cement, bricks is high then this salts come on plaster surface like white powder on the surface is known as efflorescence.
|efflorescence defects in plaster|
The surface of the plaster consists of a cone-shaped hole is known as popping defects of plaster.
|poping defects in plaster|
Remedies of plaster defects :-
- Maintaining quality of work.
- Using good quality bricks.
- To make bricks, use saline water in plaster.
- Before plastering, brush the Efflorescence or surface of salted bricks with a brush.
- Immerse brick in water before using them in masonry.
- Correctly curing of the plaster surface.
Moisture in the house:
The moisture in the building climbs from the base of the wall or enters the outside through a damp surface. Often, the leak on the tank also causes moisture.
Bad effect of moisture on building:
- Stains on the walls and ceilings of the building.
- The metal used in construction feels corrosive.
- The wood of windows, doors, closets, furs, etc. can look decayed.
- Plaster gets worse.
- Furs tile, marble is damaged.
- The 1:2:4 mix concrete layer place on plinth level wall.
- Laying hot asphalt or mystic asphalt on a plinth level wall.
- Construct a poly wall.
Termite in the house:
Treatment for termite is done in two stages.
(i) Soil Treatment
(ii) After-construction treatment
- Treatment of plinth clay
- Treatment of basic trench soils
- Treatment with wall and floor-junction
Chemicals used for the termite treatment of external wall-crossing
- Floor inside soil treatment
- Wooden treatment
- Floor treatment near the door frame