DIFFERENT TYPES OF CEMENT AND THEIR USES IN CONSTRUCTION FIELD, OPC, RHC,PPC, WHITE CEMENT, AND SO MORE.
1. Ordinary Portland Cement (Is: 269 – 1989) :
|ORDINARY PORTLAND CEMENT |
- Used in all types of construction in areas where the impact of the sea and saline is high.
- 60% of the cement used in the country is Ordinary Portland Cement.
2. Rapid Harding Cement ( (Is: 8041 – 1990):
|RAPID HARDENING CEMENT |
- It has C3S higher and C2S less.
- Hydration is faster and heat is higher generate.
- Generally 7 day after we get strength in OPC cement, where in Rapid Harding Cement we get strength in 3 day. Thus the strain shake is obtained quickly.
- Heat produces more so that the concrete cannot be used in mass construction.
- where form work is to be removed soon
- For road repair
- In cold weather
- For prefabricated units
3. Quick setting cement:
|QUICK SETTING CEMENT |
- Setting quickly but not giving strength quickly.
- Aluminum sulphate is added
- For under water construction
- For Grouting
4.Low Heat Cement (Is: 12600 – 1989):
- C3S, C 3A have low proportions.
- C2S is higher in this cement.
- Hydration rate is slower and heat is less.
- Mass Concrete (dam)
- To prevent Sulphate attack
- For hot weather
5. Sulphate Resisting Cement (IS: 12330 – 1988):
|SULFATE RESISTING CEMENT |
- The proportion of C3A is kept very low (up to 5%).
- Marine Conditions
- For Sewage Treatment Plant
- For RCC Pipes
- Base and Basement in Soil & Muddy Soil
6. Portland Pozzolana Cement (Is: 1489 – 1991, Part – 1):
|PORTLAND POZZOLANA CEMENT |
- This cement is made by adding fly-ash powder in OPC. Or, made by cement grinding with Portland cement clinker, pozzolana and gypsum. Ponzolana should be greater than 10% and less than 25%.
- Natural Pozzolana material is clay, shale, pumicites, volcanic ash.
- Artificial Pozzolana materal is Fly ash, Surkhi
- For mass concrete constructon
- For construction in seawater
- For Hydraulic construction
7.High Alumina Cement (Is: 6452 – 1989):
|High Alumina Cement |
- In this cement have 40% bauxite, 40% lime, 15% iron oxide and 5% silica, magnesia etc.
- 80% strength is achieved in 24 hours which means rapid hardening quality.
- Concrete that can withstand temperatures of 1600 ° C.
- For marine construction this cement is suitable.
8. Hydrophobic Cement (Is: 8043 – 1991):
- During OPC clinker grinding, stearic acid, oleic acid, boic acid are added. This acid forms a layer around the cement particles that protects the cement from moisture in the air. Thus cement lengthen! Can be stand for a long time without the effect of moisture.
9. High strength Portland Cement (IS: 8112 – 1989):
- In OPC, the ratio of C2S is high and the concentration is 3500 cm / gm shows high strength.
- For Prestress Concrete
- For Precast Concrete
- For Air Field works
10. Blast furnace slag cement (IS: 455 – 1989):
|Blast furnace slag cement |
- This cement is made by mixing and grinding of the proper amount OPC clinker, gypsum and blast furnace slag.
- It produces less heat of hydration so it cannot be used in colder regions.
- Useful in Mass Concrete
- Used for construction in seawater.
11. Expansive Cement:
|Expansive Cement |
- This cement is made by mixing OPC clinker, alumina cement, gypsum etc. The cement concrete is compressed in the meantime. Expensive cement can be used to overcome this defect.
- War time repairs
- Shrinkage repairs
- Cement stabilization
- Emergency works
12. Masonary cement (Is: 3466 – 1988):
- OPC clinker This cement is made by mixing inert materials such as limestone, dolomite gypsum, dolomitic lime and air entailed plasticizer in the right mix. Lime motor, cement mortar, lime – can be used in place of cement mortar. These OPC defects such as compression cracks, workability defects, plastic mix, etc can be overcome with this cement.
- Widely used in construction where low strength is required.
13. White Cement (IS: 8042 – 1989):
|White Cement (IS: 8042 – 1989) |
- Keeping the content of iron oxide low during cement production does not give the gray color of cement.
- When using cement as an oil fuel instead of coal in the furnace, cement does not cause impurities and gives the color white.
- Used to fit glaze tiles and mosaic tiles.
14. Water Proof Cement:
|Water Proof Cement |
- This cement is made by adding prepared gypsum to waterproof substances such as calcium stearate, aluminum stearate and tannic acid.
- This cement is used to suppress the permeability of concrete.